Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Accessing MongoDB data using SQL / ODBC on Linux

[EDIT 05-Apr-2018: MongoDB BI Connector version 2+ uses a different mechanism for connecting to (not using a PostgreSQL driver) - for more info see here]

In my previous post I showed how generic Windows clients can use ODBC to query data from MongoDB using the new BI Connector. I'm not really a Windows type person though and feel more at home with a Linux desktop. Therefore, in this post, I will show how easy it is to use ODBC from Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 in my case) to query MongoDB data using SQL. I've used the same MOT UK car test results data set as my last post.

First of all I needed to install the Linux ODBC packages plus the PostgreSQL ODBC driver from the package repository.

$ sudo apt-get install unixodbc-bin unixodbc odbc-postgresql

Then I googled how to use ODBC and the PostgreSQL driver to query an ODBC data source. Surprisingly, I didn't find much quality information out there. However, looking at the contents of the "odbc-postgresql" package....

$ apt-file list odbc-postgresql

...it showed some bundled documents including...

/usr/share/doc/odbc-postgresql/README.Debian

Upon opening this text file I found pretty much everything I needed to know, to get going. I really should learn to RTFM more often!

The next step, as documented in that README, was to register the PostgreSQL ANSI & Unicode ODBC drivers in the /etc/odbcinst.ini file, using a pre-supplied template file that contained the common settings.

$ sudo odbcinst -i -d -f /usr/share/psqlodbc/odbcinst.ini.template

Then I needed to create the /etc/odbc.ini file where data sources can be registered. Here I used a skeleton template again.

$ sudo cat /usr/share/doc/odbc-postgresql/examples/odbc.ini.template >> ~/.odbc.ini
$ sudo mv .odbc.ini /etc/odbc.ini

However, this particular template only includes dummy configuration settings, so I needed to edit this file to register the remote MongoDB BI Connector's details properly.

$ sudo vi /etc/odbc.ini

$ cat /etc/odbc.ini 
[mot]
Description         = MOT Test Data
Driver              = PostgreSQL Unicode
Trace               = No
TraceFile           = /tmp/psqlodbc.log
Database            = mot 
Servername          = 192.168.43.173
UserName            = mot
Password            = mot
Port                = 27032
ReadOnly            = Yes
RowVersioning       = No
ShowSystemTables    = No
ShowOidColumn       = No
FakeOidIndex        = No
ConnSettings        =

( forgive my poorly secure username/password of "mot/mot". ;) )

Now I was ready to launch the "isql" (Interactive SQL) tool, that is bundled with the Linux/UNIX ODBC package, to be able to issue SQL queries against my remote MongoDB BI Connector data source.

$ isql mot mot mot

( first param is data source name, second param is username, third param is password )

As you can see in the screenshot below, using "isql" I was then able to easily issue arbitrary SQL commands against MongoDB and see the results.



And that's it. Very simple, and I now have a powerful command line SQL tool at my disposal for further experiments in the future.  :-)


Song for today: Swallowtail by Wolf Alice


No comments: